Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Working Sex, Sex Workers UNITE!

I just love surfing the web, honestly there is nothing more exhilarating than randomly coming across a gem.
That's what happened to me today, I truly came across a gem of a website, a gem of a cause really.

While doing some feminist research I linked myself to this myspace profile. www.myspace.com/sexworkersartshow

I'm so interested in sex work, I've done numerous papers and projects around the topic, so you can imagine how intrigued I was by this.
The profile is primarily promoting a new book out called Working Sex: Sex Workers Write about a Changing Industry (Amazon Wish listed :]). Edited by Annie Oakley.
You've got to check out the myspace for yourself, I'll give you a little blurb from it to entice your brainwaves.

"Working Sex is a new anthology of writing by people who have worked in the sex trade. The essays, narratives, plays, and stories showcase a wide variety of perspectives on and experiences with sex work by people in all areas of the industry, making it the most diverse anthology on sex work in the US.

Angry and academic, sexy and sordid, hot and hilarious, Working Sex offers unique takes on
class, race, gender, and labor from the people who live and work in the crucible of our collective desire and revulsion!"

I am so excited to get my hands on a copy. There's nothing I love more than narratives!

NOW, if that peaked your interest get ready for this. I anxiously looked for a website link and low and behold I found myself here http://www.sexworkersartshow.com/home.html. I'm just gushing with excitement right now.
Editor of The Working Sex Annie Oakley is also the Director of the Sex Workers Art Show, a very successful cabaret-style show. The website describes the show as:

"...a blend of spoken word, music, burlesque, and multimedia performance art. Intelligent and hot, disturbing and hilarious the performances offers a wide range of perspectives on sex work, from celebration of prostitutes' rights and sex-positivity to views from the darker sides of the industry.

The show includes people from all areas of the sex industry: strippers, prostitutes, dommes, film stars, phone sex operators, internet models, etc. It smashs traditional stereotypes and moves beyond "positive" and "negative" into fuller articulation of the complicated ways sex workers experience their jobs and their lives. The Sex Workers' Art Show entertains, arouses and amazes while simultaneously offering scathing and insightful commentary on the notions of class, race, gender, labor, and sexuality!"

I want this performance to come to Windsor. I think that so many people would enjoy and appreciate it. Especially the Women's Studies department at the U.
Feminist production like this is so important to our culture and society. Sex work is a frowned upon industry. Sex is taboo, it's "dirty and ungodly". These beautiful women whether they choose to be part of that world or not are women no less and the oppression they face is despicable.

We are dawning on a new era my fellow readers, I feel that it is time for us to fight even harder for what we believe in and spread a message farther than we ever imagined. People are listening, it's time to be heard.

Take a gander, get involved, expand your minds!

Sonia

No comments:

Post a Comment